Finally! It only took me a week longer than the sew-along completion date to get around to finishing this thing! But it is done and I think it turned out pretty well for my very first bra.
I left off with having attached the front and back bands together. I finished off my edges a little differently as you can see from the picture
At this point I had to decide what I was going to do for straps and fasteners. JoAnns really had nothing to offer in the way of proper bra making notions so I decided to see what I could find at the thrift store for bras that I could use for “parts”. The nice part about scavenging parts this way is that the size of the bra I was buying didn’t matter and the price was great. $1.99 later I had beautiful straps and a nice hook and loop closure.
Before attaching the notions I finished trimming out the edges. Final steps were to attach the straps and the hook and loop. I ended up finishing the edges of the hook and loop a little differently than in these pictures. I didn’t like the raw edges left from the old bra and I ended up having to take in the band for a tighter fit so I changed my finishing technique.
Finished view from the front and side.
I think they may be more like torpedoes than bullets…
View from the back.
As you can see I was in a bit of a hurry to finish this project. I wasn’t paying attention to the fact that my satin trim pieces were two different sizes over the edges of the hook and loop pieces. Oh well! I’m not going back to fix it now. I hate having UFOs laying around taunting me (and there are still plenty of others).
Thanks Va-Voom Vintage for hosting this sew-along! It was a blast to try out this pattern and I am looking forward to perfecting my technique in the future.